Monday, January 24, 2011

new leaf...


Slow and steady wins the race...right? RIP Stinky (unless your still alive out there)

 So it’s a new year, and we’re supposed to turn over new leaves, right? I think the last time I consistently kept a journal was in High School, so I guess this is as new as it gets. And leaf – well, I guess electronic book pages aren’t considered ‘leaves’…but, it’s close, eh?

Journal keeping is something my McDreamy (this nickname was coined by a classmate, so I can't claim it...) has always been good at. He is especially against me reading it, though, not because he has secrets in it, rather just that he’s a little embarrassed by it or something…I’m not really sure…anyway, being the wonderful, sweet, obedient wife that I am, the second he is out of the house (and I’m not busy doing other things), I love ripping it open and pouring over (deciphering, really, as his penmanship is rather rough and fast) what he has written…I’m usually pretty disappointed after these moments of true child-like mischief, however, as he usually just accounts our everyday hum-drum experiences…I mean what’s that all about!? Aren’t secret journals supposed to be emotion-filled and juicy? Despite this, I still rip it open when it’s left unattended, as sneakily as ever, and am occasionally satisfied with a wife-brag section (can you blame me?)

Anyhow, now it is my turn. And this one won’t be secret.

The main reason why it has taken me this long to rekindle my oh-so-important-journal-writing flame, though, is that every time I decide to start again, I instantly feel overwhelmed. I realize how much and I need to write this thought and post this picture and tell this story and oh how could I leave this out and oh she’ll want me to include this and….

I end up immediately shutting the book – better to just not begin. There’s too much to tell, and not enough time. Or at least that’s how I justify myself.

As I creep on my friend’s facebook page.

Not enough time…

So here I am, starting again, with these thoughts of no time again rising out of my head, all while my heart desperately tries to relinquish them. Luckily my fingers type faster than my head thinks.

Funny, though. This time, I’m not as worried about getting everything written as I am about making it an extraordinary beginning. Along with journal-writing, a new goal I’ve made for myself this year is reading more ‘classics’. Oliver Twist and Jane Eyre have such splendid, romantically tragic beginnings. If only I could begin my journal in the same way as some classic romance, perhaps all of the stories left out would be recompensed. Of course, both of these characters were orphans...and fictional...hmmm...

All I have is a stream of consciousness, rival to Virgina Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway.

So, I’ll be brief. I am a mother of an almost two year old, chicken-clucking, cat-loving, lego-skyscraper-building, best-hug-giving boy, Bronson (yes, as in Charles), and a wife of my ruggedly handsome, best-dad-achieving, do-it-yourself-ing, any-board-sport-mastering, medical-school-going Dev. Maybe I’m biased, but I’m pretty darn lucky. And me? I’m a stay-at-home mom living in the Caribbean while my previously mentioned McDreamy does medical school, finishing my own graduate degree (MS in Education) online during Bronson's nap-time. Isn’t the internet incredible?

Anyway, in this blog/journal I’ll write about our lives here in Bonaire, medical school (and medical-school wives) tips, Caribbean living tidbits, and the ever-exciting tales associated with a little ball of energy (i.e. my son). Maybe I’ll even throw in little flashbacks of our past, just so I’m taking care of that unfinished business…it would coordinate well with my Mrs. Dalloway stylings, so who knows?

I guess it depends on whether my friends have anything good posted on their facebook statuses….



No comments:

Post a Comment